Caring for your straps.
At Nomad Webbing we believe in the quality of our product, and want to help you make them last for many years, and ensure they are ready to use when you need them most.
To get the best from your straps it’s important that you look after them & use them correctly. The care and proper use if your webbing is easy and described below. It is impervious to most things such as oil and detergents, so easy to clean. It is resistant to moderate strength acid, but will be damaged by alkali. UV light can also weaken webbing, over time, so do not store in direct sunlight.
Under high load a stretch of about 6% is normal, but should it brake in use the energy stored in it may release quickly, so do not stand close to recovery straps which are under tension. This applies to ropes, too!
To protect your webbing, do not:
- Do not tie knots in the webbing, this will weaken it and you are unlikely to get the knot undone.
- Do not pass it around a sharp object without a protective sleeve as this will damage it and weaken it.
- Do not exceed the rated break strength of the webbing when used in recovery. Or if being used to tie down cargo do not exceed the RAS (Rated Assembly Strength). Or if more than one strap is used the weight of the cargo must not exceed the sum of the RAS.
- Do not secure the strap to an object which is not capable of taking the load. This is very important when securing any cargo.
- Do not pass the webbing strap around an object then clip the hook back onto itself unless the strap is fitted with a secondary securing eye.
- Do not join two straps together by tying them together. Only use the clips or loops which are fitted.
- Do not use or rely on it for full strength if it is damaged in any way.
To look after your webbing strap, do:
- If it’s muddy after use run it out to expose the mud and hose it down. Using a bucket of soapy water and brush, scrub it free of all mud, rinse it and let it dry then fold it up. Store in a dry location.
- If it is cut or damaged do not use but return it to your supplier as it might be repairable.
- If a Ratchet is fitted lubricate the moving parts with light machine oil.
- Store in a breathable bag or box, not in direct sunlight.